For Your Listening Pleasure

This is nothing more than a place to discuss music and all its tasty goodness

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cherry Bomb (The Runaways)

Every morning I wake up, I have weird music cravings. This morning, it's The Runaways. It's probably due to my desire to see the new movie "The Runaways" starring Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, and my love for the show Freaks and Geeks which has "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett as the theme song. The Runaways’ story is a fascinating look at a band that came up at the time punk rock was being born in the U.S. Because of their youth, their legitimacy is often overlooked, but the fact is they toured with the Ramones and Blondie, and ultimately were to become as much associated as the New York punks as they were with the California scene.
The Runaways, Heart, Patti Smith, Pat Benatar, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, Annie Lennox, Stevie Nicks, etc are all some of the greatest female rock bands, singers, guitarists in history. Sometimes when I'm feeling kind of low, I watch 1970's female rock band videos to see if they empower me, and they typically do. So here's just some of the things I've been enjoying this post-birthday morning.
The Runaways The Runaways features Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning respectively as Joan Jett and Cherie Currie from the infamous female rock band, The Runaways. I am not a Kristen Stewart fan, but I am dying to see this movie. Plus, the story of The Runaways combines the best formula for any film: sex(lesbian), drugs and rock 'n roll. If I were to actually be a rock star, hands down I would be mix between Joan Jett and Nancy Wilson (I will discuss my love for Heart in a short moment). (Courtesy of theplaylist.blogspot.com)
Promotional images, include an updated version of a 1976 magazine cover the band did for Crawdaddy magazine, a rock n' roll criticism magazine formed in '60s. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the re-do with the original cover and although the position of band members is slightly altered, the cover retains all the same headlines and Currie in the center. Co-starring in the film are the likes of Scout Taylor-Compton as Lita Ford, Stella Maeve as Sandy West, Alia Shawkat as a fictionalized composite of the band's many bass players named Robin and Michael Shannon in a potentially scene-stealing role as the band's exploitative manager, Kim Fowley. "The Runaways" hits theaters March 19th A movie review would not be complete without a peak at the soundtrack so take a look:
Photobucket "The Runaways" Soundtrack Tracklisting 1. “Roxy Roller” by Nick Gilder 2. “The Wild One” by Suzi Quatro 3. “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” by MC5 4. “Rebel Rebel” by David Bowie 5. “Cherry Bomb” by Dakota Fanning 6. “Hollywood” by The Runaways 7. “California Paradise” by Dakota Fanning 8. “You Drive Me Wild” by The Runaways 9. “Queens of Noise” by Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart 10. “Dead End Justice” by Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning 11. “I Wanna Be Your Dog” by The Stooges 12. “I Wanna Be Where the Boys Are (Live)” by The Runaways 13. “Pretty Vacant” by Sex Pistols 14. “Don’t Abuse Me” by Joan Jett
Here are my other favorite female musicians 1. Heart Sisters Ann Wilson, the wide-ranged lead singer and Nancy Wilson, my second favorite guitar player in the world, formed the 1970's rock group from Seattle known as Heart. "Barracuda", "Crazy On You" and "Magic Man" are just some of their top hits. Ann Wilson has some of the best chops I've ever heard come out of a rock singer and Nancy Wilson is my idol. She has been recorded to saying that the combination of acoustic and electric guitar in "Crazy On You" is heavily influenced by "Over the Hills And Far Away" by Led Zeppelin. Her and Ann did a cover of "Battle of Evermore" by Led Zeppelin that is amazing, & Nancy did the score for my favorite movie Almost Famous.
2. Patti Smith An American singer-songwriter, poet and visual artist, who became a highly influential component of the New York City punk rock movement. She is strange, experimental, and fucked up and I love her. I had heard of her but it wasn't until I saw her get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007 that I really paid attention. The song below "Horses" is really disturbing but mesmerizing at the same time. It just puts me in a sort of hypnosis that I can't explain...hopefully you can:

No comments: