For Your Listening Pleasure

This is nothing more than a place to discuss music and all its tasty goodness

Thursday, March 18, 2010

I Could See The Dude (Spoon)

Thursday night, for the very first time, I saw my fourth favorite band in the entire world....Spoon! It was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Despite his 38 years of age, lead singer Britt Daniel is one sexy ass mofo. Originated from Austin, Texas, Spoon is a post-punk indie rock band that began their career in 1993. Releasing 7 albums and 8 EPs in a span of seventeen years, Spoon has repeatedly produced some of the best music I've ever heard. They hit commercial success when their song "The Way We Get By" off of the "Kill The Moonlight" album was featured on The O.C. Later Britt Daniel collaborated with Brian Reitzell to compose and arrange the soundtrack for the 2006 film "Stranger than Fiction".
What makes Spoon so unique is that they seemingly pick up more and more dedicated fans as the years go on. Their sound is very distinct, with Daniel's guitar and nervous-energy songs and drummer Jim Eno's rhythmic intensity. There just seems to be a consistency to a Spoon record that I don't think you get with a lot of other bands. They just repeatedly put out catchy rocks songs that matter to people. At the show Thursday night, I realized that not only do I love Spoon, but I love Spoon fans - they are so diverse. To my left I had a group of frat guys singing every word to every song, to my right were your typical hipsters, behind me were a group of sorority girls and all around you could find men and women in their late 30s/early 40s. It made me realize, "What's not to love about Spoon?" Honestly, Spoon produces hit after hit on every record. For my favorite albums "Gimme Fiction", "Kill The Moonlight", and "Love Ways" there are no "filler songs" - I enjoy every single song on each album. In 2007, I went to the Tallyrand music festival in Jacksonville, FL. Rooney, Polyphonic Spree, Pepper, Expendables, The Bravery, and Spoon were all playing. Unfortunately, due to legitimate reasons, I had to leave before Spoon came on stage. Not a day went by when I listened to Spoon that I regretted leaving. However, Thursday night show was worth the wait.


Spoon Discography Chronologically


Telephono

*Idiot Driver


Soft Effects EP

*Mountain of Sound
*Waiting For The Kid To Come Out
*****I Could See The Dude



A Series of Sneaks

*Utilitarian
*The Guestlist/The Execution
**Car Radio
*Metal School
*Laffitte Don't Fail Me Now


Girls Can Tell

*Me and the Bean
*Lines In The Suit
**Fitted Shirt
*Anything You Want
**Take A Walk
***Take The Fifth
***This Book Is A Movie

Love Ways EP

**ALL
*****I Didn't Come Here To Die
**Figures of Art



Kill The Moonlight

**All (every single song is a hit)
*The Way We Get By (heard in The OC)
******Stay Don't Go (ONE OF MY FAVORITES!)
***Jonathon Fisk
*Don't Let It Get You Down
*******Back To The Life (Favorite Song on the Album!)
***Vittorio E



Gimme Fiction

*Favorite Album*
**The Beast and Dragon, Adored**
********My Mathematical Mind*******
**Delicate Place
****************SISTER JACK (FAVORITE SONG!!!!)
*****I Summon You
**The Infinite Pet
*They Never Got You
- BONUS TRACKS -
*Carryout Kids
*Sister Jack (Piano Version)


Get Nice! EP

I honestly just started listening to this EP, but so far - it's so different from any other EP/Album I've heard from them


Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

*Don't Make Me A Target
**The Ghost Of You Lingers
***You Got Yr Cherry Bomb
****Don't You Evah
**Rhythm and Soul
***The Underdog


Don't You Evah EP



Got Nuffin EP




Transference

- Newest Album -
*Before Destruction
*The Mystery Zone
***Who Makes Your Money
**Written In Reverse

No comments: