For Your Listening Pleasure

This is nothing more than a place to discuss music and all its tasty goodness

Monday, March 22, 2010

Walking On Sunshine (Katrina & The Waves)


Definitely in my top 3 favorite movies of all time! Based on the novel of the same name by Nick Honrby, the movie is about Rob Gordon (played by John Cusack) who owns his record store, Championship Vinyl. The movie is about Rob Gordon's failure with women but I enjoy the musical commentary throughout the film. At the record store are two employees known as the "musical moron twins", Dick (Todd Louiso) and Barry (Jack Black). Armed with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things musical, Rob, Barry and Dick compile "top five" lists for every conceivable occaision, openly mock the ignorance of customers and every so often, actually sell a few records. I've been told by many that I am a combination of John Cusack's character and Jack Black's character in this movie. The opening lines to the movie are as follows:

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Jack Black's character is the epitome of someone who I would die to have a conversation with. Yes, he comes off as a musical elitist but it is extremely entertaining how he manages to talk down to everyone who enters that record store. Also, the whole movies talks about playlists and their "top fives" which if you couldn't tell already is what I do on a daily basis. When Jack Black makes his "Monday Morning" playlist, I flipped. Tambien, notice how they all make cassette tapes even though this movie takes place in the cd-dominated era known as the 90s. People don't understand the time and effort that goes in to making a mix-tape and I love that this movie explains that. The very last lines give clarification:
"The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules."
If you didn't notice, the heading of this blog is in fact a scene from High Fidelity...my favorite scene in fact (Dick's reaction is an exact match to my reaction the first time I watched this)


Autobiographical....it gets me every time!




If you haven't seen this movie, you should! Here is my second favorite scene...it pretty much gives you an idea of what the whole movie is about and is my favorite Jack Black scene he's ever done. Enjoy:

No comments: