For Your Listening Pleasure

This is nothing more than a place to discuss music and all its tasty goodness

Monday, March 1, 2010

Trani (Kings of Leon)

I miss being a progressive/indie rock DJ. Since I changed my slot to a more bearable time as a jazz DJ (6-8pm) instead of the 4-6am as a progressive DJ, I rarely listen to the music I really enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE jazz, but it isn't what I'm specialized in (if that makes sense). I have no emotional connection with it other than thinking in my head "Damn, this is good". With progressive music, I focus on every single part of the song and plan each song out by my daily routine. Fore example, Kings of Leon is always a car ride must-have, Spoon is my cleaning go-to band, and The Shins are my it's raining and I'm stuck inside my dorm band. I can recall the first time I listened to every single song on the playlist I'm about to make and how the first time I heard it made me feel. Anyways, tonight I feel the need to rekindle my relationship with a few of the founding fathers of my musical nation. This style of music is my specialty so I hope you enjoy it - I'm currently writing this before I even start my playlist so I have no idea how long or extensive it will be but it might take a while. I'll constantly be adding to this list. Grooveshark won't let me shuffle the songs and at the moment I don't have time to organize them, hence the multiple songs in a row by one artist.





- My Favorite Live Performances -

Kings of Leon - Trani (Bonnaroo 2004)


7th Grade was when I first discovered Kings of Leon and I've always been a fan of their older music. This video right here is, in my opinion, the essence of the type of music I truly enjoy. It's dirty, it's authentic, it's real. I've seen Kings of Leon three times in concert all in different cities and nothing compares to this video right here. When bands let their fame get to their heads, they forget why they have fame to begin with. Kings of Leon has definitely let the spotlight get to them, but this video reminds me that they once loved playing the music they created. So many bands today feel no connection with their music anymore because it's overplayed on tour. But this video is the exception. At about 2:50 you start to see what I mean, then at 4:30...no words can describe it.


Paolo Nutini - These Streets (2006)

This song definitely sums up my junior year.


Under The Radar is probably the coolest magazine I've ever seen. My friend Todd introduced me to it, and since then I've been dying to get a subscription. With every issue, you receive a cd with all the best upcoming indie bands. They recommend new upcoming artists, they review albums, do interviews, etc. I owe a lot of bands I like to this magazine. Basically this is what it is: "Under the Radar is an indie music magazine that prints five issues a year, is distributed across North America and internationally, and bills itself as “The solution to music pollution.” The independent magazine was founded in 2001 by publishers (and now husband and wife) Mark Redfern (a writer) and Wendy Lynch Redfern (a photographer) and is known for in-depth and characterized interviews with bands large and small, as well as their accompanying unique and stylistic photo-shoots. It offers intelligent, and sometimes humorous, articles that go far beyond a band’s major influences, often accompanied by exclusive photo shoots. Under the Radar was also an early supporter of artists like Bright Eyes, Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie, Rilo Kiley, M. Ward, TV on the Radio, and Feist, and was the first American magazine to interview such international artists as The Duke Spirit, Friendly Fires, Glasvegas, The Pipettes, The Dears, Mew, Los Campesinos!, Mystery Jets, The Go! Team, Editors, Love Is All, and many others.
Check it outUnder The Radar




Current Issue



Past Issues


To Be Continued...

No comments: